Read Write Inc
At Westgate Primary School we have started to introduce the Read Write Inc (RWI) Phonics programme to get children off to a flying start with their literacy. RWI is a method of learning centred round letter sounds and phonics, and we use it to aid children in their reading and writing. It is a consistent, rigorous and dynamic literacy programme to teach EVERY child to read by the age of six. Using synthetic phonics, children quickly learn to blend letter sounds together following a fun and effective programme.
The RWI programme has been proven to be a very successful method of teaching every child to read and write using phonics. Evidence of this can be found in the Ofsted Report, Reading by six: how the best schools do it.
How and what do children learn?
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letters/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn to read words using sound blending
- read nonsense words to ensure that they are using and applying the 44 sounds they have learnt
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- answer questions to show that they understand what they are reading
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent the 44 sounds
- learn to write words by saying the sounds and graphemes (a letter or group of letters representing a sound)
- learn to build sentences orally
- start with simple sentences and develop towards more complex ones by the end of the programme
- compose a range of texts using discussion prompts
They work in pairs so that they can take full part in the lesson. They learn to:
- answer every question
- practise every activity with their partner
- take turns in talking to each other