At Westgate Primary School, we believe that Outdoor Learning is an important way to enhance our curriculum, allowing children to engage in positive ways, with their local, natural environment.
We aim to make lessons as practical as we can, linking it to first hand experiences and giving a real purpose to our learning. Through Science and Geography learning, in particular, learning can also be addressed in an exciting and practical way. Our children have regular opportunities to explore our nature area in school, along with visiting the local park and other areas within our wider community.
Skills that Outdoor Learning promotes at Westgate:
- Builds curiosity
- Increases children’s understanding of the world around them
- Understanding of current environmental changes
- Promotes emotional and physical well being
- Provides an opportunity for physical activities
- Allows for appropriate risk taking
- Builds on resilience and problem solving